A .300 batting average may get you into Major League Baseball’s Hall of Fame but winning only 30 percent of your employment lawsuits won’t do the trick.
See Mark Toth’s Manpower blog for the results of the Question of the Week – What % of employment lawsuits are won by employers? That’s right, only 30 percent.
But fortunately there are things an employer can do to increase their chances to win and/or avoid lawsuits. Jon Hyman offers several suggestions for the proactive employer:
- Review and update handbooks, policy manuals and forms;
- Implement a document retention and destruction policy;
- Implement a harassment training program;
- Audit job descriptions and employee classification for wage and hour compliance;
- Properly document all performance problems.